Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Simple Present Tense

Ahh, the subject of simple present tense. It is very easy to understand and use, yet people still confuse it with past or continuous tense. This is a very easy explanation, taken from the BBC website.



The simple present

The tense of a verb tells us when the action was done. The action can be done in the past, present or future.

Moving from past to future


When do I use the present tense?
There are two types of present tense -

1. Present simple

Use the present simple form of a verb when
  • The action takes place now.
    e.g. I want you to help me now.
  • The action is something that happens regularly.
    e.g. I walk the dog everyday.
  • You are describing things that are generally true.
    e.g. Train travel is expensive.
NOTE! When it is 'he''she' or 'it' doing the action, remember to add 's''es' or change the 'y' to 'ies'.

e.g.
  • I like football, we like football, he likes football.
  • I always try hard, we always try hard, she always tries hard.
  • I watch a lot of films, we watch a lot of films, he watches a lot of films.
  • I seem OK, we seem OK, it seems OK. 

No comments: